Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Corning Glass and Cooperstown



9/7/15 – 9/11/15
Arrived in Campbell, NY. It was very humid and hot. In the 15 minutes it took us to level out and get the power on, the inside of the RV went from 84 to 94 (and about 70% humidity). The campground is rather large and has a pool and all facilities. We all had long showers and washed hair. Had ‘cold dinner’ - tuna salad – too hot to cook. Watched some TV and went to bed early.
 
Tuesday, 9/8, all three of us headed out to Corning, NY to the Corning Glass Museum. Did you know that Corning makes not only Corning Ware, but also Corelle, and Pyrex; also they blow glass and make beautiful pieces. I got to blow my own piece of glass, so I made a pumpkin. Here is a picture of my project and the result (I had a lot of help).
Glass Blowing my pumpkin
 
The museum was very large and had very old glass (over 3500 years old from Egypt), to very contemporary. Some of the pieces were huge, and others were so small, you had to look at them through a magnifying glass. Mom didn’t much like the museum. She said she had already seen it all! I think she was just tired of walking.
Wednesday, we stopped at the museum to pick up my finished pumpkin and headed further south to Meadow-Vale Campground (about 20 miles from Cooperstown, NY) in the country. We barely got parked and the sky opened up. It just poured, and yet it was warm and humid. I don’t think I could ever get used to this humid weather. After it while, Tom went outside anyway so we could have power and water. He got soaked. And still no power or water. It seems it was out throughout the town when the storm began. Oh, the joys of RVing! We had beans and weenies for dinner and went to bed early.
Thursday, 9/10, Tom and I headed out to Cooperstown to the Baseball Hall of Fame. It was a fabulous museum – so many memories of baseball when I was growing up. My dad’s mother was a big fan of the Dodgers and we went to the first Dodger/Giant game every year, beginning at the Coliseum and then at Dodger Stadium. I still have a baseball that my dad caught for me at Dodger Stadium. Here are a few pictures to bring back some memories for you too.
Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY
Lou Gehrig, Jackie Robinson, and Roberto Clemente
 
Character and Courage


All about Jackie Robinson
 
Murderers Row - NY Yankees
 

Back at the RV and Tom took the dogs over to the dog park. It was the best dog park yet. They got to run off leash, and they loved it!

Friday, 9/11, left Meadow-Vale for Clayton, NY, heading almost due north. We are parked in a very small campground on the St Lawrence River. The manager is gone and nobody answers the phone or the door, so we parked in a spot that one of the regulars told us they put the touring RVs. Hope he shows up soon???



1 comment:

  1. Corning masks chemistry lab glass too. I've broken far more than my share.

    ReplyDelete